Mudpies and Fishfrys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little bit of everything

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc

Marc

Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel Empty
PostSubject: Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel   Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Any King fans? Who will take the time to read the beastie described below?

Here are the details:
Stephen King completes epic novel after 25 years. Under the Dome, which King began writing in the 1980s, runs to more than 1,000 pages and will be published in November.
'I sure hope people like it' ... says Stephen King.

It's been incubating for 25 years but Stephen King is finally ready to show the world the 1,000-plus page epic he first attempted writing in the 1980s. Under the Dome, in which an invisible force field seals off a Maine town from the world, is due to be published this November, his publishers have said.

Weighing in at a whopping 1,120 pages, Under the Dome is a return for the bestselling author to the arm-breaking heft of his classic novels The Stand and It. King told an audience at the Library of Congress in Washington DC last year that he'd first had the idea for the book 25 years ago, and made a stab at writing it. "I tried this once before when I was a lot younger, but the project was just too big for me and I let it go, I let it slide," he said. "But it was a terrific idea and it never entirely left my mind. It just kinda stayed there and hung out, and every now and then it would say write me, and eventually I did."

Set in the town of Chester's Mills, Maine, "on an entirely normal, beautiful fall day", inhabitants suddenly find that the town has been sealed off by an invisible force field. "Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener's hand is severed as 'the dome' comes down on it, people running errands in the neighbouring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact," King revealed on his website. "No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when – or if – it will go away."

Characters in the cast of more than 100 include Dale Barbara, a Gulf veteran and now a cook, the town's newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician's assistant at the hospital and three children. They're up against an evil politician, Big Jim Rennie – who's desperate to hold onto power and will stop at nothing, even murder – and his son, who in classic King style, "is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry". Meanwhile, time under the Dome is running out.

King, the author of more than 50 books, has said that the new novel "deals with some of the same issues that The Stand does, but in a more allegorical way".

"Since it's over a thousand pages long, I sure hope people like it," he said earlier this year in his regular column for Entertainment Weekly.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Quote : "Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." GK Chesterton

Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel   Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 7:54 pm

100+ characters?! I don't think I could deal with that... There better be a really good pay off in the end or else people will commit acts of terrible violence if they plow through 1120 freakin pages and not have an ending that's satisfying! I would wait and read many many reviews (spoiler free) of the book before I would take the plunge...
Back to top Go down
https://mudpies.forumotion.com

Stephen King's 1,000+ Page Novel
Page 1 of 1