Mudpies and Fishfrys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little bit of everything

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Greatest NFL QB of all time?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc

Greatest NFL QB of all time? Empty
PostSubject: Greatest NFL QB of all time?   Greatest NFL QB of all time? EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Here's a starter list: Name your top three. I've included some active players who already deserve being included on this list and may well become even more legendary than they are at the moment (e.g. Brady and P. Manning). What's the most important factor in your deliberation: Super Bowl titles, records, impact on the game, etc.? I've included in bold my top three in no particular order and I'm betting Manning and Brady will pick up a few more titles and establish more records before they retire.

Brett Favre
Tom Brady
John Elway
Dan Marino
Joe Montanna
Terry Bradshaw
Bart Starr
Johnny Unitas
Peyton Manning
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
Joe Namath
Fran Tarkenton
Steve Young
Bob Griese
Jim Kelly
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Quote : "Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." GK Chesterton

PostSubject: Re: Greatest NFL QB of all time?   Greatest NFL QB of all time? EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Only 2 in my book so far:

Joe Montana (92.3 Career Passer Rating and 4 Super Bowl Rings)

Tom Brady (92.9 Career Passer Rating so far and 3 Super Bowl Rings)

I think Brady, by the end of his career, will pass Montana in my opinion as the greatest ever.
Back to top Go down
https://mudpies.forumotion.com
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Greatest NFL QB of all time?   Greatest NFL QB of all time? EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm

This question is really difficult because I'm not positive what makes a great Quarterback. Certainly you would think Superbowl Titles and so people like Montana, and Brady come to mind quickly. But at the same time its hard to rule out people like Marino and Favre and Manning with all the stats.

Playing well in the playoffs should be a huge factor and I am sad to say it but that should eliminate Favre from contingency because he hasnt been good in the post season since Holmgren left town. Peyton Manning has not played his best ball in the playoffs as well so he could be gone as well. Sooo that leaves us with Montana and Brady. Some might be tempted to say Bradshaw because of all the Superbowl titles but his defense carried him to those championships. Elway was great earlier in his career but couldnt win the big game and when he finally did he was kind of a non factor in my opinion.

Always a good conversation to be had on this topic
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Quote : "Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." GK Chesterton

PostSubject: Re: Greatest NFL QB of all time?   Greatest NFL QB of all time? EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Mike wrote:
This question is really difficult because I'm not positive what makes a great Quarterback. Certainly you would think Superbowl Titles and so people like Montana, and Brady come to mind quickly. But at the same time its hard to rule out people like Marino and Favre and Manning with all the stats.

Playing well in the playoffs should be a huge factor and I am sad to say it but that should eliminate Favre from contingency because he hasnt been good in the post season since Holmgren left town. Peyton Manning has not played his best ball in the playoffs as well so he could be gone as well. Sooo that leaves us with Montana and Brady. Some might be tempted to say Bradshaw because of all the Superbowl titles but his defense carried him to those championships. Elway was great earlier in his career but couldnt win the big game and when he finally did he was kind of a non factor in my opinion.

Always a good conversation to be had on this topic

Good points... I think QB rating is a good thing to look at too... some of the "greats" had ratings in the 60's... not good if you ask me...
Back to top Go down
https://mudpies.forumotion.com
Marc

Marc

PostSubject: Re: Greatest NFL QB of all time?   Greatest NFL QB of all time? EmptyMon Nov 02, 2009 4:00 am

Brady's 5 touchdowns in one quarter on a snowy day in Massachusetts against the Titans adds to the living legend called Brady.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest NFL QB of all time?   Greatest NFL QB of all time? Empty

Back to top Go down

Greatest NFL QB of all time?
Page 1 of 1