Mudpies and Fishfrys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little bit of everything

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

J R Richards - "A Beautiful End"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Quote : "Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to that arrogant oligarchy who merely happen to be walking around." GK Chesterton

J R Richards - "A Beautiful End" Empty
PostSubject: J R Richards - "A Beautiful End"   J R Richards - "A Beautiful End" EmptyTue May 12, 2009 7:09 pm

This cd is unreal. There is nothing mediocre about it. I have finally listened to it in full and it was well worth the wait. Is it better than "Opaline"? I don't know yet since Opaline has been out for such a long time and has fully grown on me. We'll see. It is piano heavy with impeccable vocals. Here is my track by track rating (with grades A - F):

1.) A Beautiful End: A

What a start to this record! I think this is his first single off of the cd (which won't get any airplay or recognition at all). He shot a video for it I think and I'll post it when it becomes available.

2.) I Will Give You Life: A-

He wrote this song for a movie (I think it was a horror movie). It has a definite "gothic" quality to it in that it has a dark vibe. It is the "hardest" song on the album but is still very melodic. Very solid song. "Epic" feel.

3.) Ghost of Sorrow: A

My tie for best song off the album at this point (with the title track). What a great song. Drums are a high point.

4.) Far End of the Black: B

It's hard to really rate this one because it's coming after three extremely strong songs... Great acoustic guitars.

5.) Clearwater: A-

This has the potential to score an "A" eventually.

6.) Person For You: B-

Probably the weakest song on the album overall. I think it's not due to the "music" but due to the lyrics. They're not that special. Still a good song though. There has to be a "weak" song amongst a collection of gems.

7.) Red Painted Walls: B+

Great acoustic picking. Fans of Opaline will hear the "hammer on" on the B string (guitar nerds will "catch my drift" - listen to "Today, Tonight") in this song and actually on a lot of the songs on this album.

8.) June Becomes July: A-

Great song with good use of the piano. Really kicks in when the second verse hits. Takes you on an emotional journey.

9.) Never Forgotten: B

JR wrote this song with Robbie Carrico (you may remember him as a contestant on American Idol last year: he was the "other" rocker (David Cook was the other one) with the bandana). Nothing outstanding but solid nonetheless.

10.) You're the Only Way: B-

Another "weaker" song but a little better than Person For You. Great orchestration at the beginning of the song. Extremely cinematic.

OVERALL: B+/A- One of those rare albums that moves you and leaves you wanting more. Fulfilled my every expectation.
Back to top Go down
https://mudpies.forumotion.com

J R Richards - "A Beautiful End"
Page 1 of 1